Skip to main content

An Event by Snapster's & IPC

It was my great pleasure for being part of the  event organised by IIM Indore (Snapster-Aperture Photography Club) + IPC (Indore Photography Community) on Jan 23,2011. In this event seminar from the great photographer Mr. Hemshankar Pathakji was delivered. It was very informative &  with  rich information about composing & using natural light at best in photography. It was a visual treat to see his beautiful work captured through his vision. A photo competition was also planned contributing the images taken in the beautiful campus of IIM. The competition was open to the only photographs taken on that day after the seminar.

I took this opportunity  at best to explore the beauty of the IIM campus through my camera. The architecture of all buildings is really very artistic & inspiring to shoot. The evening light was making it even beautiful giving elegant shadows & lights. I will like to share some of the images taken in  this event along with small information on it.

Image 1, 2 3 are shots of the beautiful architectures of different buildings. Image 1 shows the arches as main component.The shadow of the arch helped me to double the lines dynamically leading into the frame exploring the viewer the beauty of the architecture. I deliberately kept it in grayscale to keep it simple & placing importance to shapes & light.
A r c h e s
Image1: Arches
EXIF:
   Camera
Canon EOS 400D Digital
Exposure
0.008 sec (1/125)

Aperture
f/13.0

Focal Length
10 mm

ISO Speed
200

Exposure Bias
Lens
Date and Time (Original)

+1/3 EV
Sigma 10.0-20.0 mm
 2011:01:23 17:59:01

Image 2 is of a wall with arch & small windows. I like the shapes of arch enhanced with it's shadow & placement of the windows adding interesting graphical elements. Same is true for the the Image 3. It's taken from bottom of the arch pointing camera upwards using the edge of the arch to lead the lines. I kept it color because I like the contrast in the colors of building against the sky.

The Wall & Windows S h a p e s
Image2: The wall & Windows   Image3: Shapes

The Image 4. & Image 5 were taken at the beautiful sunset point. I was inspired to shoot there in my last very short visit to IIM, Indore before the Pratibimb 2010. I visited there for giving the poster of the exhibition of Pratibimb & from that day this location was in my mind. Due to non-justifying reasons it didn't happened. But as I come to know about this event I was unable to control my excitement.
During shooting I realised some practical problems which were not suiting to the idea with which I was visualising to compose. The chair was half hidden behind the tree.  Fortunately it was not fixed so with help of friends it was placed as in the shot. The sun was on right side of tree whereas I was preferring it on left to take advantage of the slight inclination of tree towards left & a it's lower horizontal branch (not visible in image) framing from top. The light poles (cloned away) were big distractions, thanks to Photoshop. Anyway Finally I composed this image & two exposures were mixed manually in photoshop.

It's Part Of Life
Image4: it's Part of Life
The Sunset Point
Image4: The Sunset Point

Thanks goes to Abbas, Renu, Pranjal & Pranshu for helping me to take this shot. Abbs really took strong initiative (:)) to be beside Renu. The Mr. X on left was not planned actually. There were some guys who were also excited to shoot on this beautiful sunset. He did helped not only adding another angle to the story in the image but also balancing the image with virtual triangle forming between him,sun & the persons on chair. A also see an virtual triangle between these peoples & the peak of the tree. While shooting I was with only two lenses sigma 10-20 & Canon 55-250. I was missing my 18-55 to frame it properly in my camera. Fortunately Pranjal shared his lens for this shot which is taken at 30mm.
During post processing I realised that this image may have been further better composed by taking more area in the left side. Maybe it was not possible due to other enthusiastic photographers shooting sunset. I like the light & small vignetting effect added in post processing using "GESTALT PERCEPTION". The imaginary oval shape formed on right side whereas another portion on right speeds up viewers reading to the image identifying the objects in group with an ease.
EXIF:
Camera Canon EOS 400D Digital
Exposure 0.04 sec (1/25)
Aperture f/11.0
Focal Length 30 mm
ISO Speed 200
Exposure
Lens

+5/3 EV
EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6

Missing You..
Image5: Missing You

Image 5 is of Kiran Bhatt, a very sporty member of IPC group. I was looking for model to take advantage of some interesting background & light, she was looking for photographer. Though this shot come out good but it's not very sharp due to low ambient light & slow shutter speed. i still hesitate to increase the ISO of my camera above 400.Thanks to her for being not only model but also when it was really needed.

I really enjoyed the day where I learned from seniors, shoot & shared very nice moments with my friends. Hope you find the article & images interesting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BPOY 2011

I am really excited to share with you all that I was selected as category winner for Still Life: The obvious Things in the annual photo contest conducted by India's leading photography Magazine "Better photography". My attached image Paper Swan was selected as winner in the still life. In the category "Joy of color" another image "Rainbow Twirl" was nominated in final 6 whereas "Paper Waveform was shortlisted in top 20 images. It was overwhelming to see my work on paper abstract being appreciated so highly especially considering around 70,000 entries from all over India. The eight category winners were invited to Mumbai & were offered the challenge to photo shoot in Mumbai on the theme of "Spirit of Mumbai". I was supposed to shoot for 4 days & submit 10 individual images & 8-12 images in series for photo essay. Though I didn't able to turn that for grabbing overall winner award among 8 I was hap

Paper Abstract Photography

     D ear friends finally I am able to take some time for sharing the behind the scene secrets on paper abstract work with you all. I hope you will enjoy it & ignore the delayed publication of this article. How it all started ?      I love to shoot all subjects which attracts me irrespective of what it is ! I have not yet restricted myself to any specific genre in the photography. I am not a professional photographer & can only utilize my weekends/holidays time for the hobby. Considering my small kid "Manas" which is now around 15 months old I had to restrict my freedom for shooting outdoor on weekends. This focused my attention to family portraits, still life & abstracts. Image 1 : Motion : This shot was taken to convey the feel of motion using still life. During taking this shot f or getting the movements of paper I allowed to move the end of papers with the help of ceiling fan. The the ripples on stable glass bott

My Trip to Darjeeling

As some of you know from my recent photographs & notes I recently had a short trip to North East India. I visited Darjeeling,Gangtok & Pelling. I also visited Changu lake near to Gangtok.   Image 1 :Taken from the flight while traveling from Delhi to Bagdogra. We started our journey on 26th of February  from Indore. We had a flight of Indian Airlines from Indore to Delhi in the morning & then a connecting flight from Delhi to Bagdogra. From Bagdogra we hired a taxi for Darjeeling & reached there in evening. Note: Try to hire a taxi on your own from Bagdogra air port since we have observed the pre-paid taxi payer is taking some commission & which may cost you a little more. Similarly  hiring a taxi for local site seeing on without reference of hotel manager may cost you less but sometimes it's unavoidable if they offer you nice service & you want to save time & headache in bargaining with the taxi drivers :) Darjeeling: Darjeeling is a town in