Skip to main content

My Firework Photography Experience

Dear friends recently I shoot some photographs of firework on the eve of Dassera on 17/10/10.  Before this I never tried for such kind of firework. Though earlier I tried to capture some shots of rocket & other simple items on Diwali. I will like to share the settings & the reason for that with all of you. 

Lens:
I opted for my wide angle lens Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM for Canon. Considering my 1st experience of such kind of shoot I didn't know how much area I have to cover without missing anything in the frame. This lens on my crop body canon 400D was wide enough to be on safer side.

Dassera Firework
Shot 1: 18mm,  f/18,  ISO:100, 20sec, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM for Canon,400D

Aperture & DOF:
I used the aperture from f/8 to f/18 tuning the required exposure along with different shutter speed. I started with f/18 &  gradually shifted to f/8 keeping overexposed area at minimum. This range was enough to offer me good DOF keeping all elements in the frame focused. I keep on checking the exposure in histogram & get opened the aperture shot after shot.

Dassera Firework
Shot 2: 18mm, f/20,  ISO:100, 20sec, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM for Canon, 400D

Shutter Speed & Effect:
I changed shutter speed from 15 sec to 30 sec. I may have liked to use cable release putting camera in bulb mode but I was having some problem with my cable release gadget. So I don't wanted to take chances & miss the shot keeping me frustrated.

Dassera Firework
Shot 3: 18mm,  f/8, ISO:100, 30sec, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM for Canon, 400D

Framing & POV :
I was very much clear that I need to be framing vertically capturing the firework at their entire height . I also wished to have the outline of festival in the bottom of frame adding a story to firework. I kept the bottom area as minimum as possible giving more space to sky. I kept my tripod to an height of around 60-80 cm keeping the point of view from seated viewers. It also allowed me to be comfortable by sitting on the lawn & take shots with an ease.

Exposure:
This kind of firework (shot 1,2 & 3) has an advantage that they explode in different areas keeping possibility of overexposure minimum. As shown in other shots (shot 4 & 5) of Diwali the rocket & other items keep firing mostly in single area. For capturing this kind of firework a slow shutter speed will overexpose the areas. So for capturing these kind of shots with slow speed one has to use polarzier or ND filters.

Rocket Firework
Shot 4: 6mm,  f/5.6,  ISO:80, 5sec, Sony DSC-H2

Firework
Shot 5: 131mm,  f/22,  ISO:400, 1/13sec, Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS,400D

Focus & metering:
Manual focus was obvious choice & I set it to infinity. I also insured from viewfinder the portion in bottom is looking into focus & tweaked a little with manual focus. Getting proper exposure  was  completely trial & error method. I knew the camera metering is not going to help me considering the spontaneous nature of the shots. In fact in the end (shot 3) I achieved a good exposure adding more bright sky & people in bottom with good exposure.

I hope these tips you found useful & my best wishes are with you for your firework photography.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

BPOY 2011

I am really excited to share with you all that I was selected as category winner for Still Life: The obvious Things in the annual photo contest conducted by India's leading photography Magazine "Better photography". My attached image Paper Swan was selected as winner in the still life. In the category "Joy of color" another image "Rainbow Twirl" was nominated in final 6 whereas "Paper Waveform was shortlisted in top 20 images. It was overwhelming to see my work on paper abstract being appreciated so highly especially considering around 70,000 entries from all over India. The eight category winners were invited to Mumbai & were offered the challenge to photo shoot in Mumbai on the theme of "Spirit of Mumbai". I was supposed to shoot for 4 days & submit 10 individual images & 8-12 images in series for photo essay. Though I didn't able to turn that for grabbing overall winner award among 8 I was hap

Paper Abstract Photography

     D ear friends finally I am able to take some time for sharing the behind the scene secrets on paper abstract work with you all. I hope you will enjoy it & ignore the delayed publication of this article. How it all started ?      I love to shoot all subjects which attracts me irrespective of what it is ! I have not yet restricted myself to any specific genre in the photography. I am not a professional photographer & can only utilize my weekends/holidays time for the hobby. Considering my small kid "Manas" which is now around 15 months old I had to restrict my freedom for shooting outdoor on weekends. This focused my attention to family portraits, still life & abstracts. Image 1 : Motion : This shot was taken to convey the feel of motion using still life. During taking this shot f or getting the movements of paper I allowed to move the end of papers with the help of ceiling fan. The the ripples on stable glass bott

My Trip to Darjeeling

As some of you know from my recent photographs & notes I recently had a short trip to North East India. I visited Darjeeling,Gangtok & Pelling. I also visited Changu lake near to Gangtok.   Image 1 :Taken from the flight while traveling from Delhi to Bagdogra. We started our journey on 26th of February  from Indore. We had a flight of Indian Airlines from Indore to Delhi in the morning & then a connecting flight from Delhi to Bagdogra. From Bagdogra we hired a taxi for Darjeeling & reached there in evening. Note: Try to hire a taxi on your own from Bagdogra air port since we have observed the pre-paid taxi payer is taking some commission & which may cost you a little more. Similarly  hiring a taxi for local site seeing on without reference of hotel manager may cost you less but sometimes it's unavoidable if they offer you nice service & you want to save time & headache in bargaining with the taxi drivers :) Darjeeling: Darjeeling is a town in